Friday, August 13, 2010

My little peice of Hyperactivity

My two sons have just been diagnosed with ADHD... yay... See you nasty woman at Bunnings and your "Oh My God, where is that kids parents!" as I was standing right next to you watching him swing off the side of the slippery slide thinking, "thankfully it's not the curtain rod again!" It is not that I am a bad mother, my children just have no ability to think before they act!

My Boys...

When my 7 year old son is having a good day, he is the most caring and creative soul you will ever meet... he loves to sew on the sewing machine and I am lucky enough to have a spare (old one) in good working order for him to use. He sews all kids of stuff but really loves to make pillows and blankets for his toys and little back packs. One day last year, as a 6 yr old, he used some scrapbooking paper offcuts and some really nice heavy yellow recycled paper to make a "fire truck" for his dad. Now when I say fire truck I mean, a 3 inch long 1 inch high paper truck complete with windows, wheels and a ladder. Oh I wish I had taken a picture before he took it away, because it was AMAZING and it looked just like a fire truck! I was so proud.

However most days have been bad lately, especially when he had to stop taking his Ritalin for a full week before seeing the paediatrician. Without the meds, he will poke holes in the wall, swing from the curtain rods, run around the house kicking things (particularly his brother and me if i try to stop him), have 2 hour tantrums every night, won't listen to me (good or bad), can't follow directions, hoards anything and everything (including gravel rocks and coke can tabs), can't focus at school and gets in trouble. As a parent it is so devastating to see your child behave in a way that is not truely who he is... to see him cry because he knows what he should be doing but he just cant control his impulses... to see that sadness in his eyes was heart breaking.

Anyway we are on medication now, one to help them sleep (Melatonin) and one to control their ADHD (one is taking Ritalin and the other Strattera) and after about 4 day all I can say is we are having less tantrums and more smiles... yay. It is not easy, but it is easier and to see my big boy (9, who also has an anxiety disorder) smile when he gets home from school is worth every once of energy spent to get to this point :)

From this point forward all I am hoping that I'll get more good days, more smiles and so much more creativity....

No comments:

Post a Comment